Friday, November 19, 2010

A Week of Thankfulness: My Parents



I know I have already spent some time reflecting on how thankful I am for my family, but I think I should also spend time reflecting on how thankful I am for my parents, in particular. My parents have done and continue to do so much for me, and I'm pretty sure that I never thank them enough for everything they do. As a child, my parents made so many sacrifices for me and my brother so that we would have everything we needed to grow into successful and respected adults. They could have lived in a nicer house, drove nicer cars, and gone on nicer vacations, but they sacrificed all of that so that my brother and I could have a good Catholic education and grow in the Catholic faith that they gave us. My parents always met our needs, but also taught us the difference between needs and wants, and never spoiled us by giving us what we wanted. There are so many occasions that I remember telling my mom during the summer that I wanted a certain toy, and her response was always for me to put it on my Christmas list. That taught me a lot about patience! As an adult, my parents are always the first two people I turn to when I need advice. I know that I can always count on them to support me in all of my decisions, even when my decisions are not easy for them to hear, such as my decision to move to Birmingham. As I have grown, I've realized that they are not just parents, but also friends. Whether I'm discussing the latest episode of Glee with my mom or going to a Dave Matthews concert with my dad, I am always happy when I'm with my parents.

Mom and Dad, THANK YOU and I LOVE YOU! Two things I know I don't say nearly enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment