Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Week of Thankfulness: My Family

It seems like the Christmas season begins earlier and earlier each year. This year, I noticed Christmas decorations going up, Christmas commercials on the TV, and radio stations playing Christmas music all by the first week of November. Don't get me wrong...I love Christmas as much as the next gal. But I also love Thanksgiving, and it is a shame to me that Thanksgiving often seems to be overshadowed by the Christmas season. I think it's important that we remember the meaning of Thanksgiving, and take time to reflect on the things in our lives for which we can be thankful. To get myself in the Thanksgiving spirit amidst all of the focus on Christmas, I have challenged myself to write short reflections on the things in my life for which I am thankful. I plan to post one reflection every day until Thanksgiving Day. This challenge is more for me than for anyone else, but I hope you enjoy reading about the different things I am thankful for. I encourage you to also take time over the next week to reflect on the things in your life for which you can be thankful.

Today, I would like to reflect on how thankful I am for my family. I have two parents who have made sacrifices for me my entire life to ensure my happiness and success. I have an older brother who always supports me when I succeed but is also there to encourage me when I don't. I have a grandmother and a grandfather who always make me feel special. I have aunts, uncles, and cousins who are always interested in hearing about my life. I enjoy being around my family, and I love the fact that my family can always find humor in every situation--even in the most difficult of situations. Most importantly, I appreciate the fact that my family members are always there for me, and I know I can rely on them. While my family is a far cry from "normal", I couldn't imagine being born into any other family.

Over the past couple of years, I have learned an important lesson about family--blood is not always thicker than water. Through my job, I developed a special bond with three sweet babies--Piper, Henry, and Rosemary--and their parents, Heather and Gary. Such a special bond that I am known as Auntie Ann at their house. I have also developed a special bond with Piper, Henry, and Rosemary's new little sister, Penelope, since I am her godmother. When I moved to Birmingham 4.5 years ago, I had no family here. Now I do, and I am very thankful for my Birmingham family. While we may not be related by blood, I feel that we are family in every way that counts.

I am grateful for all of my family members who love me for who I am, regardless of my quirks and imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment