Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Great South Bend Adventure, Part One: Sitting on the "Rudy Bench"

Yesterday I returned from my trip to South Bend, Indiana to visit my friends, Colleen and Kevin. It was a great trip, and I am happy to report that I had a very uneventful flying experience this time around (when I visited Colleen in Hartford, Connecticut about three years ago, I got stuck in the Atlanta airport for 15 hours...). I've spent some time today going through all of the pictures I took during the trip and have realized that I was extremely camera-happy all during my trip. Apparently I took around 100 pictures. As a result, you can expect several blog posts chronicling my Great South Bend Adventure.

Here's a general overview of my South Bend adventure. On Thursday, I arrived in South Bend. In true Notre Dame fashion, Colleen and Kevin had a viewing of the movie "Rudy" at their house that day. In case you're not familiar with the 1993 movie, "Rudy" is based on a true story of a boy who never gives up on his dream to play football for Notre Dame. On Friday morning, Colleen and I went on an official tour of Notre Dame's campus. Friday afternoon was spent at an apple orchard in Michigan picking apples and enjoying warm apple cider. Saturday was all about Notre Dame football. It began with the Midnight Drumline Circle (a Notre Dame tradition) and continued through the end of game, which of course Notre Dame lost. On Sunday, we made a day trip to Chicago, which included a lot of sightseeing and a lot of good eating. And on Monday, I returned home to Birmingham.

One highlight of the trip was finding the "Rudy Bench" and taking a picture sitting on it. The "Rudy Bench" is the bench on Notre Dame's campus that Rudy is sitting on when he reads his acceptance letter to Notre Dame in the movie. It is definitely a pivotal moment in the movie. Here is a screenshot from that scene:



And here I am sitting on the "Rudy Bench", which has obviously been renovated since the movie was filmed:





Here are some more pictures I took as we walked around the lake in search of the "Rudy Bench":











Stay tuned for more blog posts about my South Bend adventure!

1 comment:

  1. I love your post!!! I'm glad you finally understood why we made you awkwardly pose in front of the seminary. My mom is very jealous of you, she asked me why I never took a picture of her sitting on the rudy bench. Now she is planning on coming up just so we can do the pose.

    ReplyDelete