Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Colby Sits!

Ever since I adopted Colby eight months ago, I have been trying to teach him to sit on command. For the most part, it's been a losing battle. I would point at him and say, "Colby, sit!", and he would either jump on top of me, lay down and fall asleep, or just run around the house like a fool. But the other day, I was in the kitchen shredding some cheese and cutting up some cooked chicken in order to prepare dinner, and Colby was going absolutely insane at my feet. Cheese and boiled chicken are two of his all time favorite dog treats--probably because they're really not dog treats at all! I decided to seize that great opportunity to teach Colby how to sit once and for all. I saved a portion of the chicken and the cheese for dog training purposes, and continued cooking. While dinner was in the oven cooking, I began a very intensive training session with Colby. To begin with, I got some very blank stares when I told him to sit. And then he would go crazy whenever he caught a glimpse of the chicken or cheese. I began by holding the treat in one hand and then using my other hand to push his bottom down so that he was in a sitting position whenever I told him to sit. I did not give him the treat until he was in a sitting position. This process continued for several minutes. Pretty soon, all I had to do was tap his bottom and tell him to sit, and he would sit and receive his treat. And then he progressed to sitting whenever he saw my hand moving toward his backside. And then, finally, I held the treat in one hand, told him to sit and held my other hand out, palm-down, only moving it ever so slightly in his direction, and he sat!!! And he continued to stay in the sitting position until I handed him his treat! I was so proud of him that I could've cried at that moment. And he continues to sit when I tell him to do so! Of course he is more enthusiastic about sitting when there is a treat involved, but for the most part, he will sit whenever I ask him to.

I am one proud Mom. My little furry child has hit a big milestone! It only took eight months...and countless blocks of cheese...and numerous bags of dog treats...but my smart little dog finally sits on command! I couldn't be any prouder. Maybe now we will work on shaking hands (or is it shaking paws?). Move over, Cesar, there's a new dog trainer in town!







No comments:

Post a Comment