For those of you who don't know, I am a neonatal nurse. I provide nursing care to premature and sick newborns. Although this job comes with many challenges and frustrations, I really think that I have found my passion in caring for these tiny and fragile babies. Another part of my job that I enjoy is interacting with the parents of these sweet babies. While it isn't always easy dealing with hormonal postpartum mothers, I love being able to facilitate the whole parent-infant bonding process. Every once in a while, things just seem to click when I interact with these parents, and I feel that I have somehow made a difference during a scary and stressful time in their lives. There are different ways that I know I've made a difference--sometimes it is through a simple "thank you", sometimes it is through a smile, and sometimes it is through a hug or hand shake. Never through something like a fist pound. Well, up until a few days ago, that is.
If you're not familiar with what a "fist pound" is, check out this Urban Dictionary definition. Now I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
So the other day, I was answering a mother's question about her baby. I turned away from the mother for a second to look at the baby, and when I turned back around, she was holding her fist out waiting for a fist pound from me. It took me a second to realize what was going on (and that I wasn't about to get punched in the face!). So we fist pounded, and I immediately knew that I had clicked with this mother. Who says fist pounding isn't professional?! I may just start incorporating it into all of my interactions with my patients and their families.
If you live in the Birmingham area, you may have seen this UAB commercial about "A Well Timed High Five":
Don't be surprised when you see me featured in a new UAB commercial--"A Well Timed Fist Pound". That's strong medicine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment