Sunday, July 11, 2010

It's a Jungle Out There!

My backyard is a jungle. I have all different types of species that like to call my backyard home. I have frogs, I have lizards, I have dragonflies, I have butterflies. I have birds galore. And I don't think I need to remind anyone that occasionally I even have snakes.

When my mom began my backyard landscaping project, I think she was determined to turn my backyard into a bird paradise. She worked a bird bath into the landscape:



She also bought me a bluebird house, but I don't think we've had any baby bluebirds--yet.



And then there are the hummingbirds. I started out with one hummingbird feeder.



But the hummingbird fights got so bad that I had to purchase another one.



I have come to realize that keeping these hummingbirds well hydrated and fed is a full time job. I boil sugar water for these birds once a week. I have to refill the feeders at least 3 times a week. The hummingbirds go through about a quart of sugar water each week. But I think it's worth it to see these beautiful creatures.











Hummingbirds are FAST. And they are not always as sweet as they look. Whenever I take the feeders down to refill them, I often come close to getting attacked by the hummingbirds. When I am out in the backyard, the hummingbirds will dart at my head so quickly that they are gone before I even realize what has happened. So not only do I constantly have to look down for snakes when I am in my backyard, but I also have to look up so I know when to duck if a hummingbird is darting toward me. It's a challenge.

I also often see other types of less dangerous birds in my backyard.









As sad as it is to admit it, I think I may have turned into a bird watcher.

Occasionally, I will see lizards in my backyard, like this one climbing along my fence:



And often I will see a beautiful butterfly flutter by, like this one:



Yes, I do enjoy my little backyard jungle (sans the snakes).

No comments:

Post a Comment