Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Bag is Packed, and I'm Ready for Duty!

As I have mentioned before, I am Auntie Ann to three adorable little 2-year-olds, Piper, Henry, and Rosemary. I have posted this picture before, but I think it deserves another glance:



Piper is the one on the left. She is the sweet and always overly-cautious child. Rosemary is the one in my lap. She is the child who knows no fear. Henry is on the right. He thinks I am his girlfriend, and since I seem to have no other prospects, I just let him continue to believe that. Piper, Henry, and Rosemary's new little sister, Penelope, is set to arrive any day now.

Since Piper, Henry, and Rosemary are my only "nieces" and "nephew", I am still a little new to this whole Auntie thing. But I have learned that being a good Auntie involves certain duties. A few weeks ago, I had a "slumber party" with the kids so that Heather and Gary (their parents) could make one of their frequent trips to the hospital for a contraction scare. Luckily, I was called in for duty after I had already made it home from work, so I was able to pack a few things and head over to their house. But then a few days ago while I was at work, Heather told me that she was having some contractions and hinted around that she might need me to come over for another "slumber party" with the kids after I got off work. She jokingly asked if I still had my packed bag in the car. Between you and me, I really don't think she was joking about that at all! Luckily, the contractions calmed down and a trip to the hospital wasn't necessary for them. But with Penelope's due date quickly approaching, I began to wonder if maybe I should have a packed bag in my car. Certainly a good Auntie would be prepared in this way. And since I want to be a good Auntie, there was no question about it. I immediately began packing my bag.

I went to the grocery store and headed for the travel-size toiletry aisle. I pretty much bought the entire aisle:



The TSA would be proud.

I now have my bag packed, and it is sitting in my car. And for anyone who may be wondering, my mom also has her bag packed in her car so that she will be ready to babysit her grand-dog while I go perform my Auntie duties.



Heather and Gary, Auntie Ann is ready for babysitting duty!

1 comment:

  1. Awwww, thanks!! You are a great Auntie!! And your Mom is great, too. :) And, uhm, yeah I wasn't really joking the other night when I asked if your bag was still packed! Thank goodness we hadn't had to make use of your packed bag yet. I'm sure it will be when we all least expect it!!

    ReplyDelete