Friday, January 7, 2011

Christmas is Over...

I always get a little depressed when I take down my Christmas decorations because every year it seems like Christmas comes and goes so quickly. This year, I decided I would make taking the Christmas decorations down a little more fun by making a blog post about a certain Christmas tradition in my family.

Every year, my mom buys my brother and I special Christmas tree ornaments. She started doing this the Christmas before we were born, and has continued it every year since. Every Christmas when we were kids, my mom would make us stand next to the Christmas tree holding that year's ornament. At the time, it was a painful experience (especially during those dreadful teenage years). But looking back now, it is one of my fondest Christmas memories. Some years the ornaments serve as a reflection of a big event that occurred during the year. Other years, my mom just found an ornament that she liked and bought it. I don't know if this was her original plan all along, but once my brother and I moved out of our parents' house and into our own places, my mom passed along each of our ornaments to us. Thus, I currently have 27 Christmas ornaments of my own--pretty much enough to decorate a whole tree! Here are some pictures of some of my most favorite ornaments through the years (I'm not going to bore you with all 27!):

1983 Ornament
(The Christmas before I was born)




(If you can't read what's written on the bottom of the ornament, it says "We were expecting baby #2")


1984 Ornament

(My First Christmas)



1989 Ornament



1999 Ornament



2003 Ornament

(The year my parents went on their first cruise)



2009 Ornaments

(2009 was a big year--my first cruise AND my first house--so there are two ornaments for this year)





2010 Ornament



Even Colby is getting his own ornaments!



My 2010 Christmas Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment