Monday, January 31, 2011

Can I Get a High "5"?

Ever since 2011 began, I have come to realize that a big theme of 2011 for me will be the number "5".

2011 marks five years since I graduated from college--and everything that characterized my Spring Hill College experience.

Like the "destination unknown" parties, the formals, and the Mardi Gras Balls.









And the Habitat for Humanity spring break trips.





And the retreats.





And Thursday dollar margarita nights at Sabor a Mexico.





And just hanging out with friends.







And finally making that long-awaited walk down the Avenue of the Oaks to receive my nursing degree.



In a couple of months, I will return to Spring Hill for Homecoming on the Hill, during which the class of 2006 will celebrate our five-year reunion. I'm looking forward to being back on the campus I love with the friends that I miss dearly.



2011 also marks five years since I moved to Birmingham. It wasn't until my last semester of college that I began to even consider moving away from Mobile. The more I thought about it, the more I knew that if I didn't embark on this adventure at that particular point in my life, I probably never would. There are so many great people that I have met during my five years here in Birmingham.

Like my crazy co-workers.







And these awesome girls, Cate (a.k.a. "Booty"), Tara, and Jean. Technically I already knew Tara before I moved to Birmingham, but we've grown much closer since I moved up here.



And, of course, my four favorite kiddos--Piper, Henry, Rosemary, and Penelope--and their great parents, Heather and Gary. I'm Auntie Ann to them, but if you were to ask those sweet kids, I'm just their "Ain". They are too cute!





I am so thankful that I followed my heart all the way up to Birmingham five years ago, because I cannot imagine not having met any of these people. I think it is mostly because of these people that Birmingham has come to feel like "home" to me.

2011 also marks five years since I began my nursing career at UAB. Over the past five years, I have truly found my passion in neonatal nursing. While some days are harder than others, I can honestly say that I love my job. I enjoy providing care for premature and sick babies and developing strong, and sometimes lasting, relationships with their parents. There is no greater feeling than witnessing a baby's journey during his or her stay in the NICU all the way up until the moment that he or she is discharged home. And it is so satisfying to keep in touch with the parents of these babies after discharge and see those babies that I remember as being small and fragile grow into happy and healthy kids. I have grown and learned so much during my five years at UAB--not just nursing skills, but important life skills as well.

It really doesn't seem like it has been five years since I graduated from college, moved to Birmingham, and began my nursing career at UAB. But when I think back to my life five years ago, I realize that I have experienced a lifetime of learning and growing as I have ventured through the "real world" these past five years. I think I deserve a high "5"!

No comments:

Post a Comment