Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Journey Through the Past Four Years of My Life (With Pictures!)

I realize that many of my new readers may not be completely caught up on my life. So sit back and relax as I take you on an illustrative journey through the past 4 years of my life.

In May of 2006, after pulling more all-nighters than I dare to remember and writing countless nursing care plans (which, by the way, the words "care plan" still make me want to puke a little), I graduated with my Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Spring Hill College.



Three weeks later, I packed up my belongings and moved to the Magic City of Birmingham, AL.



I took up residence at this beautiful apartment complex, home of the largest number of ducks and geese you've ever seen. And, consequently, the most duck and geese poop you've ever seen. However, I did my part to control the duck and geese overpopulation problem while living there when one day a duck flew into my windshield on my way to work, but that's another story... Anyway, I ended up living there for three years.



Within just a few days of my big move to Birmingham, I started my first nursing job as a RN Intern in Women and Infants' Services at UAB Hospital. In the beginning I worked in this building, that was over 100 years old:



I now work in this building, that is just a few months old:



On June 21, 2006, I took my licensing exam to become a registered nurse. It was an absolutely horrific experience. I was sure I had failed. I began looking into a new career path. But, after an agonizing 48 hours, I got the news that I had passed and that I was a licensed registered nurse!

In the summer of 2007, I suffered from temporary memory loss. Although I had only been out of school for about a year, I had forgotten how horrible it was. (Schooling must be a lot like childbirth...you forget how horrible it is the first time around so that you are more inclined to do it again.) I began taking classes at UAB to work toward becoming a "master" nurse, while continuing to work as a "regular" nurse full-time.



In July of 2007, I made a trip to Hartford, Connecticut to visit my friend, Colleen. This was actually the first time I had ever flown by myself. Everything was going great. I had my ticket purchased, I was all checked in at the Birmingham airport, and I had even boarded the plane and found my seat without any trouble. And then a storm appeared out of nowhere. And we were asked to de-board the plane. A couple of hours later, we re-boarded and took off. I arrived at the Atlanta airport just in time to watch my connecting flight to Hartford go down the runway and take off...without me. There were three or four more flights to Hartford that day, but they couldn't seem to fit me in to any of them. At that point, I did the only thing that seemed appropriate at the time--I had a total meltdown in the middle of the Atlanta airport. Fifteen hours later, I made it to Hartford. And the rest of the trip was a total blast. But I have not flown since.



During the rest of 2007 and most of 2008, I just tried to stay afloat as I balanced working full-time with schooling part-time. Life was crazy.

In the summer of 2008, I became "Auntie Ann" to three very special little kids--Piper, Henry, and Rosemary. These little babies were born prematurely and I had the pleasure of being one of their primary nurses during the weeks that they were in the hospital. Through this experience, I developed a special bond with them and their parents. It was a defining moment in my career. And now, almost two years later, I couldn't imagine not being Auntie Ann to these sweet kids. This summer, I will become Auntie Ann again when their little sister is born. Here is a recent picture of me with my "nieces" and "nephew" (from left, Piper, Rosemary, and Henry).



In May of 2009, I had the honor of serving as maid of honor in Colleen and Kevin's wedding. I had a lot of duties as Colleen's maid of honor. First, I was in charge of making her ring bearer's pillow:



Second, I was in charge of keeping all of the bridesmaids in line:



Thirdly, and probably most importantly, I was in charge of "The Beast". This was the name I affectionately called the train on Colleen's dress.



It was the longest train I've ever seen. Keeping that train fluffed was one of the most difficult tasks I think I've ever faced. I had a few panic attacks before the ceremony, but luckily the bride was there to calm me down. The wedding was beautiful, and I am so happy that I got to be a part of this wedding of two of my closest friends.



In August of 2009, I finally graduated with my Master of Science in Nursing from UAB. I use the word "graduated" loosely, as my "graduation" involved simply receiving my diploma in the mail two months after my graduation date (UAB's explanation for why it took so long for me to receive it--they "forgot" to send it).

In September 2009, my parents took me on a Caribbean cruise to celebrate my graduation. It was my first cruise, and it was an amazing experience. I am ready for the next one!



In October of 2009, I made a big leap into adulthood and purchased my first house. It was both a scary and thrilling experience. I love my new house, and I have had so much fun decorating it and making it my own.



In November 2009, I adopted my sweet little Colby. He is a 2-year-old Havanese mix, and I adopted him through a rescue group in Mobile. It was love at first sight. He is the sweetest, most lovable, most perfect dog ever! I can't even begin to explain the joy he has brought into my life in the six short months that I've had him!



Keeping up with the "newness" theme of 2009, during my trip to Mobile to adopt Colby, I also bought a new car. Here I am pictured with my goods from that trip:



Following all of my big purchases in 2009, 2010 so far has been the year of bills. Lots of bills. I don't see the need for an illustration here, as I'm sure you all get the picture.

Whew! So there's the last four years of my life in a nutshell. I'm glad we're all on the same page now.

5 comments:

  1. Oh heck, Auntie Ann, that made me cry. I am hormonal though, so I blame it on that. :) We are very lucky that you were one of our nurses!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not gonna lie, I got a little teary-eyed too when I was writing it. I don't know what my excuse is though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so honored to be featured in you blog twice!!! We are going to have make plans for you to visit up here so I can make another appearance! I love this ann! You can be sure that I will be your blog's biggest fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you know how much you mean to me that I am actually considering jumping on a plane and coming to see you again. Obviously, I'm still not completely over the last trip. This time I will definitely need to avoid the Atlanta airport...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a lovely recap, Ann! It's good to know the goings-on of one Ann Agnew during the time before I knew her!

    ReplyDelete